Re: [o-info] Re: [ccp4bb]: [SUMMARY]: Problems with PDB entry 1muo

Dear David,

I almost agree with your proposition. However, one question here is: who
should do so?  Should we, as a community, give powers  in that matter to
the IUCR  or similar? Should  we ask to  the pertinent government  for a
prosecution  by  the general  attorneys?  Are  there real  deontological
commissions powerful enough? I guess it wouldn't be easy, but...

Another question is about the source of statements as "these coordinates
have been deposited in the data bank". I can tell you that, at least for
the  J.  Biol.  Chem.  this phrase  is added  not by  the author  but by
someone from  the journal  in the editorial  processing of the  paper. I
discovered this in a recent paper I got accepted in this journal, and it
seemed to me quite weird.  During the electronic deposition, I had given
them the code of my data, but  the person in charge of the final editing
ask me  for the code again...  Anyway, this statement is  present in the
proofs you're  sent for approval. If  you take seriously  your work, you
will read and approve (or not) this phrase. But you see, we're imperfect
and there's room for more or  less honest mistakes here.  I say "more or
less" because the journal policies  are clearly and publicly stated, and
in the case of this journal require the deposition and immediate release
of both coordinates and structure factors.

Anyway, something should be done...

Cheers,

Miguel

David J. Schuller <djs63@cornell.edu>, 24/04/2003:
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:08:12 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "David J. Schuller" <djs63@cornell.edu>
> To: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@dl.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [o-info] Re: [ccp4bb]: [SUMMARY]: Problems with PDB entry 1muo

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, N.Ramasubbu wrote:
>
> > Here is a simple solution.
>
> Here is another simple solution, although I suspect most will consider it
> to be on the harsh side.  If an author writes something in an article
> which is untrue, such as "these coordinates have been deposited in the
> data bank" for the purpose of being able to publish their work, they
> should be held accountable for it. Since their ability to publish affects
> their ability to get funding, they have in effect lied for profit. They
> could be prosecuted for fraud.
>
> Cheers,

> "Spontaneity is only a term for man's ignorance of the gods." - Samuel Butler
>                         David J. Schuller
>                         modern man in a post-modern world
>                         MacCHESS, Cornell University
>                         djs63@cornell.edu