[ccp4bb]: Re:

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 06:03, N. Gautham wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   This is a general MR question. Can some one enlighten me on the
> relationship, if any, between the resolution of the data and the
> accuracy of the model used in MR. For example, if I use only low
> resolution data say 6.0 A to calculate the rotn. fn., etc, can I get
> results by using a model that has rmsd of say 6.0 A from the 'true'
> structure? Any references, comments would be welcome. Thanks.

Beast uses an estimate of the rms error of the model to calibrate the
likelihood function, one effect of which is to weight down the influence of
high resolution data.  Back of the envelope calculations suggest that data
with dmin less than twice the expected rms error will have relatively little
influence.  This is supported by results from some test cases, so the default
resolution limit in Beast is now set as twice the rms error for the best
model.

In principle, if the likelihood target is properly calibrated, the main effect
of using data to too high resolution will simply be to waste computer time.
However, if one is using a program that doesn't apply any weights that depend
on model quality, it would be best to apply a resolution cutoff (which you
can think of as a crude form of weighting with weights suddenly dropping from
1 to 0).

In your case, a model with 6A rms errors will predict data poorly beyond about
12A resolution.  At 6A resolution, atoms with 6A rms errors will contribute
with essentially unknown phase angles because they can be virtually anywhere
between Bragg planes.

--

Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge