Re: [ccp4bb]: low-temp data collection

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Richard Gillilan wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> > Sorry to post this here, but could somone help me on this.  How do you
> > collect a low-temperature dataset with a deoxyhemoglobin crystal without
> > exposing the crystal to atmospheric air.  Thank you.
> >
> > Martin Safo, Ph.D
>
> Using an oil drop in place of cryoprotectant (I think this was suggested
> on this list some time ago) should also protect the crystal from air.

This is an excellent method and has been used for many years by small
molecule crystallographers for freezing extremely air-sensitive crystals.
I've used it successfully with macromolecular crystals too.

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH